REAL SALT LAKE FALLS 0-2 TO FC DALLAS IN 2011 MLS RESERVE LEAGUE OPENER
Second Half Goals by Ruben Luna and Bryan Leyva Make the Difference for Visitors at XanGo Field
LEHI, Utah (Tuesday, March 29, 2011) – FC Dallas used second half goals from forward Ruben Luna and midfielder Bryan Leyva to record a 2-0 victory over Real Salt Lake in the 2011 MLS Reserve League opener for both sides at a chilly XanGo Field. The match marked the first contest in Central Division play for Major League Soccer’s revamped edition of the Reserve League after returning from a two-year hiatus.
A back-and-forth first 45 minutes saw both sides take the few opportunities provided to them well, with RSL goalkeeper Kyle Reynish and his former teammate, FC Dallas netminder Chris Seitz, both diving low to turn away dangerous opportunities within the opening half hour. Both backstops would also dart off their lines to stop breakaway opportunities later in the half, with Seitz thwarting Salt Lake forward Conor Chinn’s attempt in the 34th minute, followed three minutes later by Reynish giving up his body to stop Dallas captain Bruno Guarda’s attempt at the top of his area.
Just minutes after Reynish opened up the second half by stopping Luna at the edge of the box, the Dallas striker would start the scoring in the 52nd minute by converting a penalty kick he earned himself when RSL defender Rauwshan McKenzie tripped him upon entering the penalty area. Luna’s firm finish into the upper right corner was followed 11 minutes later by Leyva’s strike from distance, as the FCD midfielder punished a popped-up RSL clearance by smashing it on the full-volley from 25 yards out past a helpless Reynish.
RSL Reserve League Notes
- Real Salt Lake utilized its two new strikers, Conor Chinn and Donny Toia, as members of the starting XI in today’s contest. Toia went the full 90 minutes, beginning and ending the match up top while moonlighting at left back for a 25-minute spell in the second half, while Chinn logged 80 minutes on the day.
- Real Salt Lake called in four members of its RSL-Arizona Academy Under-18 Team – including a pair of Utah natives – for the match, with all four youngsters seeing action. Ricardo Velasco (Casa Grande, AZ) played 54 minutes after starting the match on the left side of RSL’s diamond midfield, while forward Mikey Orellana (Provo, UT), Nico Muniz (Albuquerque, NM), and Phaneul Kavita (Salt Lake City, UT) all entered the match off the bench.
- The call-ups were necessary for Real Salt Lake due to the continued absence of three players on duty with their respective national teams – Álvaro Saborío (Costa Rica), Will Johnson (Canada) and Arturo Alvarez (El Salvador).
- Real Salt Lake will renew MLS Reserve League action at home against the Colorado Rapids on Thursday, April 14, when the Rocky Mountain Cup rivals will do battle in Central Division play at XanGo Field (12:00 p.m. MT, closed to the public).
2011 MLS RESERVE DIVISION
REAL SALT LAKE 0 : 2 FC DALLAS
TUESDAY, MARCH 29, 2011
XANGO FIELD – LEHI, UTAH
Goals by Period 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake (0-1-0, 0 pts.) 0 0 0
FC Dallas (1-0-0, 3 pts.) 0 2 2
FCD – Ruben Luna 1 (penalty kick) 52’
FCD – Bryan Leyva 1 (unassisted) 63’
FCD – Victor Ulloa (caution; Reckless Tackle) 36’
RSL — Jean Alexandre (caution; Reckless Tackle) 38’
RSL – Nelson Gonzalez (caution; Unsporting Behavior) 77’
FCD – Jonathan Top (caution; Obstructing a Restart) 82’
RSL – Collen Warner (caution; Reckless Tackle) 85’
RSL – Rauwshan McKenzie (caution; Reckless Foul) 90+’
FCD – Bruno Guarda (caution; Reckless Foul) 90+’
Real Salt Lake Reserves — Kyle Reynish; Tony Beltran (captain), Chris Schuler, Rauwshan McKenzie, Nelson Gonzalez; Luis Gil, Jean Alexandre (Nico Muniz* 68’), Collen Warner, Ricardo Velasco* (Mikey Orellana* 54’); Conor Chinn (Phanuel Kavita* 80’), Donny Toia
Substitutes Not Used: Tim Melia (GK)
FC Dallas Reserves – Chris Seitz; Andrew Jacobson, Andrew Wiedeman, Michael Ambrose*, Jack Coleman*; Bruno Guarda (captain), Bobby Warshaw, Bryan Leyva (Daniel Garcia* 90+’), Victor Ulloa; Peri Marosevic (Jonathan Top 64’), Ruben Luna (Maykel Galindo 71’)
Substitutes Not Used: Josh Lambo (GK), Boyd Okwuono*
* = Denotes RSL-Arizona Academy or FC Dallas Academy players
Referee: Allen Chapman
Referee’s Assistants: Alex Krelo, Brad Jensen
Fourth Official: Hamed Sadeghi
Weather: Mostly sunny, 42 degrees
All Statistics contained in this boxscore are unofficial